Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Win32.Sircam.Worm Alert.....

From: Nicolas Gregoire <nicolas.gregoire () 7thzone com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 19:22:10 +0200

"Eric D. Williams" wrote :

I suspect this worm alters extensions as
well, I am sure (and hope) someone will post a dissection of this worm to the
list after they receive a full copy.

No dissecation , sorry :)

Just a few notes :
- the extensions I have seen are .pif, .bat, .com, .exe, .lnk
- the worm wraps a document from the MyDocuments folder in a file
containing the executable virus and send it to emails adresses found in
*.wab (windows adresses books) and Temporary Internet Files
- title of the mail = filename without extensions
- how to detect/reject it the mail server (Postfix only ):
- how to extract the "stolen" file :
        dd if=file.xls.bat bs=512 skip=268 of=file.xls

Nicob