Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: ASCII Char 255 crashes a network

From: Blair Strang <Blair.Strang () CHELMER CO NZ>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:05:11 +1300

Hiya,

I can replicate this. I don't really get crashes, but I do get lengthy
hangs where the NT's UI becomes (even more ;-) unresponsive.

I'm running NT4/SP6 with novell client 4.70.1.

Here's what happens for me:

        1) when I run w:\>Copy <ALT 255> h:\  the file appears to
         be created, but the cmd window hangs.
        2) there is no problem accessing other netware drives
         until one accesses the drive with the poisoned file.
      3) after opening a cmd window and running <dir> in the directory
         with the poisoned file, no other netware drives can be accessed.
      4) eventually, some kind of a timeout occurs - and NT functions
         more or less normally, except all mounted netware volumes are
         inaccessible. "W:\ is not accessible - The network path was not
         found"...

I would concur that this seems to be a bug in the novell client.

Regards,

    Blair.

--
I like you, Sully.