Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Vlans

From: Samuel Patton <dsap () MILLENNIUM-COMPUTING COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 01:31:20 -0600

Most commercial switches change algorithms to flood mode at around the
80-90% CPU util.
The most common way to push a switch into a high CPU state is with ARP
packets.  This technique has
been known for a while and is pretty noisy.  Arp packets are destined for
the broadcast Ethernet address and thus
data must be copied to all ports.  If you are interested in reproducing this
all you need is the data structure for the ARP frame
which is documented in RFC 826 and the sendto() function combined with a raw
socket or I suppose you could just use libnet.
John's previous comment about physically seperating the switches is a solid
design principle as a preventative mechanism
for this type of attack.

-Sam