Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Vlans

From: Dom De Vitto <dom () DEVITTO COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 23:03:32 -0000

Read a Cisco book and it'll say that switches are for reducing collision
domains, and vlans are to break up broadcast domains and ease management.

Notice I don't mention of security.  Because a stream of new devices on
a non 'locked-down' switch port (and 99% of switches have 100% of ports unlocked)
will fill the mac->port table and the switch will start sending to all ports.

If you're lucky the supervisor card will delete the packets from inappropriate
vlans, but if the supervisor is busy, e.g. too busy to get around to checking
all the ports the packet may be already sent.

The reason for this design ? Speed.  Check the Cisco docs - speed, speed, speed.
(It's the same for routers, VPN concentrators, PIXes, Cisco are mad about throughput)

Consequently vlans aren't secure, in general.  You may be able to 'harden'
a switch, but it's a lot of work because a switch isn't the 'tool for the job'.

Check out www.deja.com and search for cisco security catalyst flood,
that should give the few good articles I recall, and they reference others.

Dom
PS. Cisco sales boys will only mention the above when you tell them
security is foremost, then they try and sell you a switch per vlan - cunning eh?
  Dom De Vitto                              Secure Technologies Ltd.
  mailto:dom devitto.com                         Mob. 07971 589 201
  http://www.devitto.com                         Fax. 08700 548 750