Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: ping -i (TTL) Vulnerability

From: erasor <erasor () ERASORS NET>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:08:50 -0800

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-1999 Microsoft Corp.
C:\>ping -t 127.0.0.1 -i 0
Bad value for option -i, valid range is from 1 to 255.
C:\>

-------------------------

Microsoft Windows 98
     (C) Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1998.
C:\>ping -t 127.0.0.1 -i 0
Bad value for option -i, valid range is from 1 to 255.
C:\>

Both dropped to a prompt with no incident.

No NT4 installed so I couldn't check that.

: A funny (local and possibly remote too) bug in command.com.

What makes you think its a bug in command.com
if ping.exe is not checking its parameters ?

: for a response from you, or it may have stopped executing". This indicates
: that its still busy on the background, I could not discover with what.

I would say command.com was busy handling ping.exe

Of course, this is all guess-work since I can't recreate the error :c)