Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: ping -i (TTL) Vulnerability

From: "Leo R. Lundgren" <leo () FINALRESORT ORG>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:35:24 +0100

just as a sidenote (maybe irrelevant but whatever.. :), ping doesnt utilise
more than one cpu on for example an nt4 sp5, so even if itd b as tragic as
the initiators of this post suggests, it wouldnt b of much use on an SMP
(Symmetric Multi Processing, systems with > 1 CPU) server/system..

<!-- hide lame stuff from normally intelligent people
  reet greets goes to m0nark ;)
-->

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/
_/  Leo R. Lundgren aka rAWTAZ
_/
_/  Web: http://www.finalresort.org - Enterprise site
_/  Web: http://reUnion.finalresort.org - reUnion 2001
_/
_/  E-mail: leo () finalresort org
_/  Cellular: +46 (0)70 26 75 619
_/

While I get the 100% CPU, I have no problem stopping the task and closing
the command prompt.

Since ping -t is going to run as fast as it can, and since you're giving it
invalid parameters such that it just runs again after failing, it makes
sense that the CPU would go to 100% with the "-t" option specified.

Try using ping -t host -r 0.  You'll get the same result.

Cheers
Jeff Oliver
NetMeasure Technology Inc.