Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: ping -i (TTL) Vulnerability

From: Damian Menscher <menscher () uiuc edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:19:59 -0600

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, -No Strezzz Cazzz wrote:

A funny (local and possibly remote too) bug in command.com.

If you set the -i option (TTL) to 0, in a ping, a funny bug gets triggered
that'll wh00p your CPU Usage to 100%. That is if you also set the -t option
(Ping the specified host until interrupted). Your command.com shell will get
flooded with "Bad option specified" messages. In example: a normal ping -t
would put your CPU usage to about 3%. When you're done (Ctrl-c) and you want
to close your command.com you'll get the following message: "This Windows
application cannot respond to the End Task request. It may be busy, waiting
for a response from you, or it may have stopped executing". This indicates
that its still busy on the background, I could not discover with what.

Try it:  C:\>ping -t 127.0.0.1 -i 0
That should do the trick.

This is tested from NT4 Workstation, Service Pack 4.

Just a basic ping-flood on yourself.  Yes, it raises load to 100%, but
stops as soon as you press ^C (NT4 SP6).

No doubt this bug should also be able to be triggered from a remote location
and cause panic on your network/servers. We're also pretty sure that this
bug should be able to cause way more hav0c. As matter of fact we're
performing tests as we speak. Care to help us out? Mail us your suggestions
at:

No doubt that this would do absolutely nothing from a remote location.

[ silly gr33tz snipped ]

Damian Menscher
--
--==## Grad. student & Sys. Admin. @ U. Illinois at Urbana-Champaign ##==--