Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: man -K overflow

From: Techno Bob <tbob () TECHIE COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:06:43 -0500

When I run
man -K `perl -e 'printf "a" x 8253'`
on my redhat 6.1 box I get a seg fault without a core dump.
When I ran it through gdb I worked out that there are two un-assigned
pointers below the overflowed in the stack meaning that your input causes a
seg fault by hitting those pointers before it gets a chance to overwrite the
ebp/eip. So I guess we've gotta find a way to get the pointers assigned
before the function that causes the overflow is called. I haven't had too
much of a chance to study the code so far but I'll get onto it and see what
happens

Regards
TBob

FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com