Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: \'useradd -p\' problems.

From: Gordon Messmer <yinyang () eburg com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 13:01:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, joetesta () hushmail com wrote:

    On my Trustix 1.2 box, I noticed that creating a user with 'useradd' and
the '-p' option (which gives the new user a default password) does not hash
the password in /etc/shadow:

Of course not... Read the man page for useradd:

       -p passwd
              The  encrypted password, as returned by crypt(3) or
              an MD5 password generator.  The default is to  disĀ­
              able the account.

That option is intended for use in scripts where the hash has already been
generated.

--
If I had a dollar for every brain that you don't have,
        I'd have one dollar. - Squidward to SpongeBob