Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: stackguard-like embedded protection

From: antirez <antirez () linuxcare com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 09:24:36 +0200

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 01:44:57PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
I know that StackGuard and ProPolice can't combat formation bugs, and I
am guessing that libsafe and StackShield can't either (once you can
write arbitrary data to any spot in memory, you can get around any of
these protections.

Yes, anyway Stackguard-like protection maybe conceptually less strong
in this context.
Even if with some tricks both Stackguard-like and Stackshield-like can be
defeating using the %n bug.

<to simplify>
In order to defeat the stackguard protection you can read the random number
so you can spoof it. In order to defeat the stackshield protection you
must _write_ the saved RET, so that they will match. Anyway it's a lot
more simple to protect (with for example mprotect(2)) from writing that
protect from reading. Unfortunatelly page alignment isn't our friend, and
we must allocare a lot of memory in order to use mprotect.
</to simplify>

antirez

--
Salvatore Sanfilippo, Open Source Developer, Linuxcare Italia spa
+39.049.80 43 411 tel, +39.049.80 43 412 fax