Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: stackguard-like embedded protection

From: "Bluefish (P.Magnusson)" <11a () GMX NET>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 11:21:20 +0200

http://www.trl.ibm.co.jp/projects/security/propolice

While at it:
http://www.trl.ibm.co.jp/projects/security/propolice/node4.html

Nothing is mentioned of formatation bugs, which is probably due to the
fact that the document is dated June 19, 2000, alas the big public
discussions on subject had just recently started.

From what I remember from bugtraq, it seems to be quite tricky to provide
a good patch to this problem. So I wonder, has any of these tools
(ProPolice, libsafe, StackGuard or StackShield) added anything to
combat formatation bugs, or if it's an active research area.

     http://www.11a.nu || http://bluefish.11a.nu
    eleventh alliance development & security team