Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: stackguard-like embedded protection

From: typo () INFERNO TUSCULUM EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 17:09:20 +0200

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 11:21:20AM +0200, Bluefish (P.Magnusson) wrote:
From what I remember from bugtraq, it seems to be quite tricky to provide
a good patch to this problem. So I wonder, has any of these tools
(ProPolice, libsafe, StackGuard or StackShield) added anything to
combat formatation bugs, or if it's an active research area.

where's the need for research? i've made glibc rpms without %n the day
the first format bugs went to bugtraq, and had them installed on all of my
[linux] machines since then...

does every stupid idea have to be marketed as 'research' nowadays?