Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: smurf (stupid question)

From: Vitaly Osipov <vos () TELENOR CZ>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 19:26:04 +0200

You can use  fraggle (UDP variant of smurf) in such manner - provided both
your amplifier networks have lots of computers with "echo" or/and "chargen"
ports open (or some services that generate replies to unknown packets) - but
it's a rare case... I doubt that such network  exist (heh, that they managed
to live until now :) )

regards,
W.

P.S. read here - http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-98.01.smurf.html