Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Unauthorized outgoing connect caught by ZA

From: Joe <joe () blarg net>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 06:51:33 -0700

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, j nickson wrote:

Case History:  Unauthorized request from workstation to connect to Akamai.

I saw some unusual activity so I stopped *all* net programs  and put Zone
Alarm (2.1.25) into LOCK.

A few *minutes* later I was rewarded with:

--------------------------
The firewall has blocked Internet access to a388.g.akamai.net
(63.160.183.233) (HTTP) from your computer.

And it's totally harmless and blocking Akamai.net is definitely not the
solution. Next time, do a 'netstat -a' and see if your previous HTTP
connections are fully closed before hitting the panic button.

The reason no application was associated with the access is because it was
probably a normal TCP keepalive packet (or a FIN-ACK packet, or any one of a
number of other possible NORMAL tcp packets that occur long after the
initial connection is closed out.)

And Akamai does not make client-side applications. They have a massive,
extremely high-speed distributed caching network where "really big sites"
(Like Yahoo.com) stick their content so that when you type in
'www.yahoo.com' you end up at one of Akamai's cache servers instead.

I have explicitly added akamai to reject host lists in various filters and
suggest others do likewise,

Please don't make suggestions like this until you understand how TCP based
connections on the internet actually work.

--
Joe                                     Technical Support
General Support:  support () blarg net     Blarg! Online Services, Inc.