Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Unauthorized outgoing connect caught by ZA

From: Leonardo Serni <sernil () TIN IT>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 22:13:37 +0200

At 10.08 15/10/00 -0400, j nickson <jnickson () TOGETHER NET> wrote:
Case History:  Unauthorized request from workstation to connect to Akamai.

I saw some unusual activity so I stopped *all* net programs  and put Zone
Alarm (2.1.25) into LOCK.

A few *minutes* later I was rewarded with:

--------------------------
The firewall has blocked Internet access to a388.g.akamai.net
(63.160.183.233) (HTTP) from your computer.

Pardon me, but could it be that a (mostly) legitimate connection was severed
and the OS itself took charge of closing the sockets (after a suitable time)
so that Z.A. did actually intercept either a "dead connection" or a "anybody
home?" packet?

Something of the kind happens to me all the time when surfing over *sloooow*
web sites. Which are the majority, when seen from an Italian ISP line :-).

The traffic goes down, the Linux box drops the connection. After seconds, or
perhaps minutes, something on the Windows box awakens and sends out packets,
which are dropped.

Leonardo