Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: windows scripting encoder

From: Doru Petrescu <pdoru () kappa ro>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 08:19:39 +0200

BTW, Cold Fusion offers the same functionality. They use a well know
algorithm with a hardcoded encryption key.

Someone found a way to undo this about 1-2 years ago. I sow the program on
bugtraq.

This is not a solution ... it is just making things a little more
complicated for the average stupid user. But at least will prevent stupid
customers that have no idea about ASP/PERL/ColdFusion to make stupid
mistakes and alter the code and then say the script is broken.

Best regards,
------
Doru Petrescu
KappaNet - Senior Software Engineer
E-mail: pdoru () kappa ro                LINUX - the choice of the GNU generation

Since a friend of mine told me they use the windows scripting encoder
to obfuscate their asp code before giving it to customers, I decided
to take a look at it. It turned out to be extremely trivial.

Of course this is just encoding and is, as ms says themselves, not
a real protection of asp code. However I find it a bit misleading to
present this as an option to 'protect your sourcecode from prying eyes',
since it really is totally simple. I think it creates a false sense of
'security' by hiding your source code that just encourages sloppy coding
practises. I'd be curious to know if anyone is actually using this or
ever looked at it.

I'm not really sure how serious this is. I suppose no sane person would
use this scripting encoder and assume noone could read the code on their
website or that customers can't read the code you wrote for them. However
I'm kind of wondering why this functionality is offered at all then.