Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Kill the DOG and win 100 000 DM

From: Christian Schwalm <schwalm () CIAO COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 20:26:55 +0100

hi :)

I just tried getting through, and although it took a LONG time it
eventually loaded the webpage.  I was actually in the act of >emailing them
to ask which server they want us to take down lol (since they have 3 (main,
hacking-contest.com, and >193.102.208.43).

i tried alot , but the connection always failed. even telnetting to port 80
didnt work. i have 2 (legal) shells very very close to the system, so i
think you have to catch a lucky moment to get the / page. <joke> i could
mirror the site if anyone send me an apropriate .tgz hehe </joke>

port 25 and 23 ( try root/toor maybe it works haha ) work like a charm.

Although I see that most "security professionals" seem to dislike these
contests as a poor example of security publicity; I like
these contests just for an aspect of a free/legal public system for anyone
to play around on.  I think wargames do help anyone
trying to learn since they may not have the funds/knowledge right away to
set up their own unix box.

and hacking your own boxesis not *that* thrill, because (i hope) everyone
fixes the holes he knows. and if you want to stay on the legal side contests
or good friendsĀ“ boxes are the only choice ...

Maybe the site is already experiencing DOS attacks.

or pitbull isnt the right choice for high traffic webservers because it has
to much overhead checking everything *g*

only thing i could do was checking their relaying rules (relaying denied)
and looking for some user accs:

550 www... User unknown
250 nobody... Recipient ok
250 root... Recipient ok
550 ftp... User unknown
250 nobody4... Recipient ok
250 uucp... Recipient ok
[...]
550 admin... User unknown
550 administrator... User unknown
550 gast... User unknown
550 guest... User unknown
550 toor... User unknown
550 argus... User unknown
550 argusadmin... User unknown
[...]
550 bla... User unknown
550 blabla... User unknown

maybe you could send an email with the "|" thingie i just read ... but i
belive they will never read the mail delivered to that system during the
contest neither reply to them. at the moment this looks like a
"i-close-all-ports-and-say-hackme" machine. are there any cgis ? whats on
the webpage ? i suppose a static html or so .. >:( is there a database or
aplication server in the backend ? that would be real. never heard of a
pitbull oracle/sybase database but of some exploitable bugs in those dbs.

so i just sit and wait for some login info ...

plz dont flame me because of my xmailer ... i like "mousekliggikliggi" :))))

- christian `eldocĀ“ schwalm
schwalmATstud.uni-hannover.de

*** signature is ill today.