Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Kill the DOG and win 100 000 DM

From: Jay Tribick <jay.tribick () CARRIER1 NET>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 11:21:11 +0000

Actually the easiest way to do it without wading through the compatibility
list is to put the patch(es) on first, and then install Pitbull on top (the
Pitbull installation is set of kernel + user level patches and can be
installed on an already running system.)

Not true.  The installation would complain about the patches installed
being newer then the ones it's installing, and abort the install.   Trust
me, I tried. ;-)

Hmm.. I'm sure there's a way around that.. can't think what it is right now though :)

Anyone know if the commercial version of Pitbull Foundation is any
different from the one on the revolution site? (www.argus-revolution.com)

root doesn't actually have any privileges on a Pitbull system.. he's
just a normal user (out of the box..)

Actually that's not strictly true either - root user has enough
priviledges to allow the system to boot on power on (not the OBP security
levels, but the  PB authentication to let system finish booting up), but
that's about it, yes.

No, isso|sa|so has the BOOT authorisation (at least on the systems I've used)

..if anyone would like Jeff Thompsons talk from Defcon 7 on "Hacking B1
Trusted Operating Systems", send me an email and I'll put it up somewhere.

Sure, please.   Knowledge is power, and all that...

Quite a few people have expressed an interest in getting this - it's an MP3
of the conference talk, I'll post it up on a public web server later on
today (about 20:00 GMT) and forward the URL to the list.

--
Regards,

Jay Tribick
Senior Systems Engineer