Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Kill the DOG and win 100 000 DM

From: Steve <steve () SECURESOLUTIONS ORG>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 13:28:18 -0700

What is a contest such as this going to prove?  That in four days a bunch of
script kiddies will pound away at a system they know nothing about?  There
is a very good chance that you will come out of this "contest" un-hacked and
again, what will that prove?

Contests such as these are not replacements for secure coding and proper
security operating procedures.  Just because someone fails to deface your
web site or root your box in four days doesn't mean that the software or
system is secure.

Steve Manzuik                                   Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Moderator - Win2K Security Advice               (403)660-2997

Security Analyst - Bindview RAZOR Team
smanzuik () razor bindview com
http://razor.bindview.com

* - The opinions expressed in this email are mine, and mine alone.  They - *
* - do not reflect those of my employer or anyone else for that matter.  - *