Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Win 2000 & IE 'shell://' problem?

From: lamerhq () GMX DE (Tobias Paprotta aka friedbits)
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 13:40:45 -0500

At 15:33 30.05.2000 -0500, Stephen John wrote:
I found that IE 5 running Win 2000 accepts "shell://" as a legal protocol,
and when any URL ie "shell://localhost" or just "shell://" is loaded IE
crashes and brings explorer.exe down with it.  I think this would cause a
user who didnt know much to think that Win 2000 had crashed (of course
killing the tasks iexplore.exe and explorer.exe then restarting explorer,
will solve the problem).

I don't think this is a huge security hole, but being able to crash
explorer remotely is a security problem.

This can be exploited via a                 <A href=shell://somehost>Kill
explorer!></A>
or if scripting is on, by embedding
a   onLoad="window.location='shell://localhost'"
into the body tag.
It takes about 5 seconds to crash IE/explorer, the IE window blinks a few
times before the crash.  I'm not sure what IE is trying to do here, but it
is never sucsessful.

I was able to reproduce this on 2 systems with Win 2000 Professional
5.00.2195, using IE 5.00.2920.0000.
I tested this on a Win 98 Machine running IE 5.00.2919.6307 and I did not
see this behavior.
Also Netscape does not seem to recognize shell:// as a valid protocol.

Could anyone see if this problem is occurs on other version of NT/IE, or
maybe is there is a better way to exploit it?

Stephen John
Student  University of Texas
Webmaster  <http://www.securityauditor.com>http://www.securityauditor.com

I have tested this on the German release version on windows 2000 and found
it non-working.
5.00.2920.0000 is the version of IE this was tested on under win2k 5.00.2195.
However the IE accepts the URL and seems to open a few windows and close
them. However I can't reproduce
the crash of IE and explorer here. NT4.0 Server sp5 running IE 5 doesnt
seem to be vurnerable either

Tobias
Paprotta
tobias () paprotta de