Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Outlook HTML VBS (demo)

From: dphull () MAIL UKANS EDU (Hull, Dave)
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 10:21:19 -0500

Pardon my ignorance, but is it really possible to include dangerous
exploits in messages using VBS, Javascript and the like? Popup
messages are one thing, but I/O to disk is quite another. Is this
really a VBS call? It looks suspiciously like the alert() function
found in Javascript.

I was working several months ago on a project and thought I might be
able to use Javascript via a web page to pull stats from a user's
computer like size of HDD, amount of available disk space, etc. and
my admittedly shallow research led me to believe that it was not
possible to use Javascript for such tasks. Granted, I don't know the
language so could someone set me straight. Thanks.
Dave Hull, Senior Information Technology Analyst
LAN Support Services, University of Kansas
gpg key-> http://insipid.cc.ukans.edu/dphull/pubkey.html