Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Outlook HTML VBS (demo)

From: jtb () ATEI COM (Jason Brown)
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 20:58:02 -0500

This popup showed up on my Netscape Messenger (4.73) when I clicked on
the email (not even an attachment, just opening the email) yet when I
checked the security info regarding the javascript security it says "No
applet or script is allowed to access your computer or network without
your permission. ".  Does that mean my Netscape Messenger is vulnerable
to malign javascripts too or is there something I am missing here?

Jason Brown
jtb () atei com

Masial wrote:

The easy way is to build the HTML in notepad with the scripts in it
then open the html doc with Word and send the eMail using the little
eMail button in word.

As you can see, this eMail message would pop a box on a vulnerable
outlook and not on those who don’t allow scripting. The only function
in this demo is an alert() box but it could be pretty much anything.

M.