Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: UPDATE on possible new "e-mail virus" concept ?

From: 11a () GMX NET (Bluefish)
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 00:41:10 +0200

This is nothing new.
It's been done before.  And exploited before.  And Microsoft fixed the
hole.  Cache directories for IE are now randomly named.  That's why a
"dir /ad c:\windows\tempor~1\content.ie5" on my system returns:

But, does that *really* mean it isn't exploitable?
looking at how netscape handles the same issue, each directory
listing corresponds to an automaticly created "page". If e.g. javascript
or vbscript be setuped to parse this, you could wander through the
directory structure.

No expert upon what these scripts can and can't do, but I'd say it
complicates an nameguessing attack somewhat, not stop it.

     http://www.11a.nu || http://bluefish.11a.nu
    eleventh alliance development & security team