Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: possible new "e-mail virus" concept ? + bypassing IE settings

From: 11a () GMX NET (Bluefish)
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 00:28:28 +0200

When opening this page in I.E., the complete file got downloaded (I.E. assumed
this was a .BMP file), however it showed a red cross in I.E. like the ones
you get with image not found.
If i changed the BM back to MZ and renamed it back to file.exe I was able to
run this program, i even did a binary file compare and it  was exactly the
same as the original one. (so no stripping occured.)

This is expected... Would be surprsing if it was any other way around.

While looking for a way to bypass the Internet Explorer (I.E.) Security
setting that disables all downloads a while ago, i noticed that I.E.
automatically downloads image files, (unless you have images disabled)
and stores them in the "temporary internet files" folder.

LOL, I wasn't aware of the option. Someone relying upon that to work must
have missed the "covert channel" subject when learning computer security.

However, you don't need "image" binaries to get around this function. A
simple HMTL file will do well (if it checks against binaries, simply make
a valid HTML files containing your executable somehow [like in the .bat
example). This would be easier/more reliable, IMHO.

Meanwhile, i noticed that the image files for I.E. don't need to have a valid
image file extension, anything will work fine. (and IE uses temporary files
with
the same name as the original files.)

You seem to be a bit off here, and at some other lines in your mail.
The internet standard (well, IE does a few exceptions from this, but...)
is relying upon what the server identifies the files as (MIME). To make a
http claim whatever you like isn't even a coding problem, it's a mere
configuration problem. Especially given interactive pages, it would be
very stpid to rely on the receiver to identify what an incomming file is.

(I could use some %codes in the filename in the .html to scramble the dir and
fool I.E.)
That way, we might be able to save the temporary files in other dirs then
"the temporary internet files" folder.

I feel fairly certain the IE bug you are assuming to exist doesn't. Feel
free to test it, but I feel rather certain what the result will be. If it
exists such a bug in IE, some coders should be sent to the torture
chambers for a few days...

Well, you seem to be entirely off in your understanding of the HTTPD
workings, but it was intressting to find out that microsoft has such a
stupid thing like forbidding userdownload. (but it might do some good as
it stops the stupid people from downloading without understanding what
they do, but it's no way to defend yourself from insiders bringing stuff
in)

     http://www.11a.nu || http://bluefish.11a.nu
    eleventh alliance development & security team