Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: swbell DSL bug ?

From: Scott.Miller () VANDENBERG AF MIL (Miller Scott Contr 30CS/FTI)
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 10:11:42 -0700

It's not even necessary to change MAC addresses to get more DHCP leases.
The DHCP protocol provides a client identifier field to identify each lease,
and most DHCP client implementations use the MAC address as the identifier,
but there's nothing that says you have to.  I wrote a short test program
that contacts our Microsoft DHCP server and requests leases with arbitrary
client identifiers, and the server happily hands out all the addresses you
want.  It also serves as an effective denial of service if you fill up the
entire address pool.  The specification even allows you to make the requests
over an already configured interface, saving you the trouble of constructing
broadcast datagrams and listening for replies in promiscuous mode.  The
Network TeleSystems DHCP server used by my DSL provider, however, doesn't
seem to respond to such requests.

If you're running Solaris, obtaining more DHCP addresses is trivial - on my
Solaris 7 box at home, 'ifconfig le0:1 dhcp' creates a new subinterface and
obtains a DHCP lease for it.  Haven't checked to see what it uses for a
client identifier, though.

Bottom line, it's a feature, not a bug.  As far as accounting, the lease is
still recorded in the DHCP logs.  The only real security issue here is in
your ISP not restricting this if they generally charge for multiple
addresses.

Here's a potentially more interesting issue:  my ISP (which shall remain
nameless) uses a Redback Systems SMS1000 customer aggregation router,  which
restricts traffic to each subscriber by watching as DHCP leases are granted
and maintaining a table of active addresses per interface.  Unfortunately, I
don't have one of these boxes at home to play with, but I'd be really
interested in seeing how immune the SMS1000 is to spoofing - i.e., is it
possible to send a DHCP discover from the customer side, and at the same
time forge a response from the outside and trick the SMS1000 into adding the
address to its security table?  And is the mechanism really stateful,
requiring the full DHCP negotiation, or does it just watch for a DHCPACK?

Scott