Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: swbell DSL bug ?

From: Jeffrey.Karpenko () RHIGROUP COM (Jeffrey Karpenko)
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 12:38:23 -0400

Jamie:
        Very interesting approach.  I am new to the DSL arena and haven't
thought of using private addresses for customer use.  It should really
prevent all intrusion attempts from the outside.  However, it sounds like a
bear to manage and log.  Especially when the ISP tracks which user was using
what IP at any specific time.

        There are some possible security issues with the DSL service I
subscribe to.  My ISP provides the Cisco 677 DSL modem with its package.
The 677 can be connected to via the Console port and if a CTRL-C is executed
as soon as the "Hello!" prompt is visible, then the 677 is booted into RMON
mode where a "db" command of a memory location of 80030 with a range of 350
will show the encrypted passwords used in the configuration.  The encryption
is easily broken and ENABLE access is just a "rb" and login away.  While in
ENABLE mode I noticed there is a userid and password in the config.  Looking
at it I can guess that all other 677 routers provided by my ISP will have
the exact same userid and password.  Hmmm, interesting.

        In your opinion, is this a hole?

Jeffrey