Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Crashing Win9x with smbclient - But NT & W2K?

From: vventura () SIA PT (vventura () SIA PT)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 13:45:49 -0000

I've tried to create a dir. with the name "con" with
smbclient and admintrator account and it was refused. WIth
the NTFS.

The exploit of con\con has so far only been adressed to the
singleuser
versions of Windows (Win9x), but a quite more interresting
topic is
weather the attack can be carried out on NT and Win2k
systems.

My idea is that initial testings might incorrectly lead to
the assumption
that those systems were invulnerable because NT typically
use NTFS and the
bug was related to the VFAT module. Could be interresting to
know if
someone with access to different NT/Win2K builds could test
if there's any
problem with asking for e.g. d:\con\con if d: is your VFAT
partion.

(sorry, don't have NT installed on any of my machines)

     <A TARGET=nonlocal
HREF="/external/http://www.11a.nu";><A HREF="http://www.11a.nu</A">http://www.11a.nu</A</A>> ||
http://bluefish.11a.nu
    eleventh alliance development & security team