Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Crashing Win9x with smbclient - But NT & W2K?

From: 11a () GMX NET (Bluefish)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 07:01:44 +0200

The exploit of con\con has so far only been adressed to the singleuser
versions of Windows (Win9x), but a quite more interresting topic is
weather the attack can be carried out on NT and Win2k systems.

My idea is that initial testings might incorrectly lead to the assumption
that those systems were invulnerable because NT typically use NTFS and the
bug was related to the VFAT module. Could be interresting to know if
someone with access to different NT/Win2K builds could test if there's any
problem with asking for e.g. d:\con\con if d: is your VFAT partion.

(sorry, don't have NT installed on any of my machines)

     http://www.11a.nu || http://bluefish.11a.nu
    eleventh alliance development & security team