Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Win 2000 & IE 'shell://' problem?

From: BlueBoar () THIEVCO COM (Blue Boar)
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 19:49:11 -0700

I did some brief testing with this today.  I found that whatever version
of Win2K w/IE that I plopped down in front of wouldn't crash with just
opening shell:// or shell://localhost.  The window would flicker a bit.
One poster had indicated that it was dependent on the number of windows
open.  I opened several windows.  Now it would flicker, and cycle between
windows.  With about 8 or 9 IE windows open, it would do the protection
fault and crash.

Thanks everyone for reporting in with various version numbers, etc..
I'll be summarizing shortly, and posting to Bugtraq and MS.

                                        BB