Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Win 2000 & IE 'shell://' problem?

From: spjohn () MAIL UTEXAS EDU (Stephen John)
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 16:47:42 -0500

I checked deeper into what exactly is happening with the shell://.  I
believe I found out what is going on, but I still have no idea why it exists
or what it is supposed to do.

When you open a shell: URL, windows executes the command "explorer
/idlist,%I,%L".
Where %I is process info about iexplorer eg :0:1423, where 1423 would be the
pid of iexplore.exe.  %L is the URL so it is "shell://abcabc" or whatever
URL you used.
As to what the /idlist paramater of explorer.exe is, I am not sure.  It is
not in the MS documentation, but I found one source that said this parameter
"May help with cacheing. By itself, opens the desktop as icons." from
http://www.cpcug.org/user/clemenzi/technical/WinExplorer/CommandLineOptions.
htm.
I don't really understand what this means, so I still don't see what shell:
is trying to do.

As far as trying to exploit this, I tried to get commands to execute by
using URL's like "shell:|mkdir\test" and even "shell|cmd/c"mkdir\test"" but
this doesn't work. The command is not filtered out, but it does not execute.
I can only assume that the explorer command is run in some protected mode,
but I don't know too much about this, so it's very possible that I am wrong.
Also appending a normal explorer parameter (eg /e) does not do anything,
explorer seems to ignore any other parameters after /idlist.One other thing
that I noticed is that anything after a space in the URL will not be passed
to the command.  I assume this is because the %L is only the information up
to the first space.

I still don't know why running this command (sometimes) crashes explorer.
It's possible that there is something else going on in the background I am
not aware of.  As far as trying to exploit this as a buffer overflow, I have
sent a URL with something like 5000 "A" or "shell:", but thats about it.

I believe these are the reg keys that cause this behavior of the shell:// URL.
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Shell\shell\open\command
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell\open\command
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Publishing Folder\shell\open\command
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open\command

Stephen John
http://www.securityauditor.com