Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: BitchX /ignore bug

From: nohican () MARCELLA NIETS ORG (nohican () MARCELLA NIETS ORG)
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 15:05:43 +0200

This is *real* bug and you *should* patch asap, it is failry easily
possible to disconnect people (eg: sigsev their BitchX). It should
be possible (thought tricky) to execute remote commands. (Once again
a reason why you should not irc as root).

I have the slight suspicion this isn't the only issue in BitchX.

Kind Regards,
Joost Pol aka Nohican
Root66

- Do not underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

If I read this correctly, this is not an attack perse, but a self
annihilation is it not?  and while a bug, not something one can use to
take others ofline or server, please correct me if I read this wrong.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne