Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: .: 14x :: Generic Vuln - Many Vendors & Operating Systems :.

From: Carl-Johan Bostorp <ctor () KRIXOR XY ORG>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 09:50:18 +0200

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Nick Summy wrote:

How would sometihng like this work with windows,  or macos?  anyone
know? It should work with windows,  i dont know enough about macos to
make an educated guess though

Actually, at least NT isn't vulnerable, IIRC. And judging by the new
appearance of <linux/fs.h> (last time I looked at it was 2.0.33), Linux
shouldn't be either(?????). Previously, the maximum file descriptor limit was
default 1024 and was set only on compile. This can be changed during runtime
now but I don't know if the kernel does it automatically (guess not). It was
claimed on some list a few years ago NT didn't have this feature/problem. I
don't really see how this would be an OS-specific attack apart from that.

A program requests memory, gets it, and eventually memory will run out,
preventing programs who needs any more memory from working correctly. How
can this be related to being the OS' fault?

P.S. I am aware of the possibilities of setting limits, but IMHO, this ought
to be done by the program, not the OS.

~~~<*>~~~

Web: http://elemental.webservices.se/              ICQ: 3534707
PGP: 0xA6B5C43B                                 IRCnet: ctor

~~~<*>~~~