Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

3-Com LanPlex 6000 Password Removal

From: ben () CENTURYHIGHSCHOOL COM (Ben Kruger)
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 01:15:51 -0500

I appologize for this being way off topic for this lsit, but it occurred to me that with the large amount of knowledge
that seems to be here for how to get into systems, I thought I'd try to ask this here since 3Com would like me to spend
$300 per hour to tell me how to do this.  I have a LanPlex 6004 that I bought off E-bay a few months back for $200.  I
recently started playing with it and was going to update the system firmware to a more current version.  I ran into the
problem though of not having the login password for the machine.  I have contacted the person whom I bought it from and
they were unable to help me with this.  I have tried all known 3Com default passwords from their site and from the
lists that have been circulating through here recently to no avail.  There are some jumpers on the LMM that is in the
switch, and I believe that one of those may be used to reset the switch back to factory defaults or at least allow me
to change the password, but I do not want to change the wrong one for fear of what else could possibly happen.  The
switch is running firmware revision 3.1.7 currently and all info on how to recover/remove passwords listed on 3Com's
site has to do with 4.x+.  Another problem is that I do not have a cable to connect to the serial ports on it, so I
must use telnet, the front access buttons, or physically jumper the switch in order to change settings.  I would even
be appreciative to get access to a well documented copy of the LMM jumper settings and I'll figure out the rest on my
own.  Thanks for helping me in my learning experience (this is at my home and not a critical piece of equipment, so I'm
not about to pay more to hear someone guess at a solution).

Thanks,
Ben Kruger, MCP, A+