Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: OpenSSH Password Question

From: White Vampire <whitevampire () mindless com>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 23:57:26 -0500

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 07:15:15PM -0800, Gordon Messmer(yinyang () EBURG COM) wrote:
If you want passwords longer than 8 characters, you should be using MD5
crypt(), rather than the default DES crypt().  If you're using Red Hat
Linux, then run "authconfig" as root to enable shadow passwords and MD5
passwords.

        Slackware supports MD5 by default and has for a while.  MD5
supports a maximum of 127 characters.  I typically require my users to
have a minimum of 9 character passwords and enourage a passphrase.

Regards,
--
   /  \    /  \   \ /   / White Vampire\Rem