Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: OpenSSH Password Question

From: Gordon Messmer <yinyang () EBURG COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 19:15:15 -0800

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Erik Tayler wrote:

You get the picture. This is either the way the server is supposed to
act, a bug, or a terrible misconfiguration on my part. Any help would
be greatly appreciated. One thing is for sure, I want the be able to
use my password, not a truncated version.

If you want passwords longer than 8 characters, you should be using MD5
crypt(), rather than the default DES crypt().  If you're using Red Hat
Linux, then run "authconfig" as root to enable shadow passwords and MD5
passwords.

--
Disraeli was pretty close: actually, there are Lies, Damn lies, Statistics,
Benchmarks, and Delivery dates.