Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Apple Mac DoS

From: Martin Sunnerdahl <martin.sunnerdahl () SOC LU SE>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 17:59:10 +0100

At 16.59 +0100 00-12-14, Jurriaan Kamer wrote:

On Wed, Dec 13, 2000 at 09:54:58AM -0000, The Q wrote:

   - Ports open are

   testhost@testhost ]$ nmap 192.168.1.96     ## IP of a mac boxen

   Starting nmap V. 2.53 by fyodor () insecure org ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
   Interesting ports on  (192.168.1.96):
   (The 1521 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
   Port       State       Service
   427/tcp    open        svrloc
   548/tcp    open        afpovertcp

   Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 8 seconds

As far as I know, there are no ports opened by default by Mac OS 9.
I guess it's one of the programs running on the Mac-box causing the open
ports, and also causing the DoS vulnerability.

548 is Apple Filesharing via TCP/IP (the updated variant of the old
AppleTalk protocol). It is not on per default, but is easily (and
quite often if the users are using appletalk to communicate with
other Macs anywhere in the world) activated. I will try this ASAP and
see what it results in. I'd say, though, that in a "MacUser Jones"
environment, not even one in a 100 has this activated...

/Martin