Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

gen_util_applet / ORBit

From: mixter () NEWYORKOFFICE COM (Martin Ixter)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 00:49:03 +0300

Does anybody know the exact purpose of gen_util_applet on Redhat 6.x?
I think it has something todo with orbit (some IPC server mostly
for X / gnome based programs, if I'm not mistaken). It launches
automatically when some X applications are launched, and (the interesting
part) listens to tcp ports between 2000 and 4000.. I recently got this
message when somebody was scanning me:

Apr 18 01:00:02 Mixter gen_util_applet: [orbit] refused connect from 1.2.3.4

Now, I have a strict hosts.deny file, but what if I don't? Generally, I
think it is a bad idea to let remote users even connect to applications
that have to do with things like IPC... anyone care to take a basic look
at the source?

Mixter
mixter () newyorkoffice com
http://1337.tsx.org