Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: AIM 3.0

From: djr () NARNIA N ML ORG (Daniel Reed)
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 19:25:41 -0400

On Sat, 30 Oct 1999, Blue Boar wrote:
) I noticed, for example, is that it doesn't generally allow raw
) HTML to be sent.  In fact, the client is set up to not allow it.
) One wonders if that's just client-side security, or if it's
) also enforced on the server end.
It's just client side. As far as I know the server doesn't strip anything
out from IM's, so if you can't send raw HTML (I can), it's your client
that's blocking it.

) I think I recall that someone did an open source AIM client,
) for unix?  That would probably be an excellent place to start.
There are actually quite a few open source AIM clients. My console mode
client, naim, is available at http://naim.n.ml.org/ (the latest version is
http://dev.n.ml.org/naim-0.9.5-nicer1.tar.gz), and there's also the
gtk+-based GAIM (which uses the TOC protocol) at http://www.marko.net/gaim/,
and probably others as well (there's a listing at http://www.auk.cx/faim/).
There's another FAIM-based AIM client as well, which lets you connect to ICQ
too (not gtkTTM), but the URL's not on www.auk.cx/faim/ and I don't recall
it off the top of my head.

) Does AIM have a web interface for folks who don't have the AIM
) code installed?
The URL for AOL's web-based QuickBuddy is http://toc.oscar.aol.com/ (it
opens up a WinAIM-style window underneath your current browser, so you'll
probably see it flicker into existence and then disappear again--just
minimize your current browser).

--
Daniel Reed <n () ml org>
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. -- Confucius