Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

AIM 3.0

From: paul () KEEFER ORG (Paul Keefer)
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 17:20:23 -0000

I haven't seen any vulnerabilities listed for the version of
AIM that is shipping with Netscape 4.7, but I was wondering
if anyone had noticed the file transfer capabilities?

Basically it looks like a user can tell AIM to allow access
to any files that user has rights to.   When another AIM
user either "gets" or "puts" a file, the transaction is
coordinated by the AIM server, and the transfer appears to
be initiated by the workstation serving the files.

I don't even want to think about the number of buffer
overruns and other bugs in this software just waiting to be
exploited.