Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: INZIDER!

From: rotaiv () BIAPO COM (rotaiv)
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 10:25:51 -0500

At 11/18/99  01:27 AM, Blue Boar wrote:

Wolfgang Gassner wrote:
I tested it running Netbus and Back Orifice on it and it doesnt detected
it!!

... Implying that you thought it was a carrier for Netbus or BO?

I think he meant it did not detect Netbus or Back Orifice not that it was
carrying it.

It only gives some Information on Port 135, 139 ....

Which is what it's supposed to do, right?  Did it miss some ports?

When I tested it, my conclusion was that inzider looks for open UDP ports
and not TCP ports.  The ports he mentioned (135, 139) are UDP whereas I
believe Netbus and BO use TCP ports.

I believe the best an reliable way to determine which port is open
is              netstat -an !!!

How about posting a comparison output from the two on your machine?

                                              BB

I agree that netstat gives a much better picture but does not provide the
associated EXE.  Personally, I use AtGuard (for various reasons) as it
tells me all TCP/UDP ports and which EXE is using them.  It's also
practically instant whereas inzider took a long while to tell me very
little (UDP only).

rotaiv