tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: AC_LBL_FIXINCLUDES does not make it into configure

From: Guy Harris via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 00:50:02 -0800

--- Begin Message --- From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 00:50:02 -0800
On Jan 27, 2023, at 4:53 AM, Denis Ovsienko <denis () ovsienko info> wrote:

On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 01:40:48 -0800
Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net> wrote:

*don't* support C99 inline?  If not, we could just remove the call
from configure.ac and the definition from aclocal.m4.

In 2002 in commit b1263c6 you wrote it was some HP C compiler that
Autoconf 2.13 could not drive.  I have never seen HP-UX in the wild, but
assuming the amount of improvement made in Autoconf during the
subsequent 10 years (Autoconf 2.69 is from 2012) and the amount of
improvement made in HP-UX (which had the most recent release in 2022),
to me it would make the most sense to say the problem AC_LBL_C_INLINE
solved (HP C specifics) no longer exists unless proven otherwise, and
AC_LBL_C_INLINE should be removed with a good change log entry.

That commit was

commit b1263c69c58e58e326997ec8b2db81d6e3666bc6
Author: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date:   Fri Jun 28 10:45:40 2002 +0000

    Some versions of the HP C compiler can handle inlines, but not if they
    return a structure pointer.  Check whether the C compiler can handle
    inline functions that return a structure pointer, not whether they can
    handle inline functions that return an int, as at least some versions of
    autoconf's AC_C_INLINE do.

I presume that, given the increased use of, and thus demand for, inline as a keyword in C, HP eventually fixed the
problem (I *think* the problem was that the compiler rejected code that inlined structure-pointer-returning functions,
rather than generating bad code for it).  (If not, maybe the autoconf developers added a check for that.)

If anybody still has such a problem, they have my sympathy, just as people stuck with, say, compilers that don't
support function prototypes do, but I'm not sure they should have support for building tcpdump (or libpcap or tcpslice)
on their machine with their current compiler.

As far as I'm concerned, replacing it with AC_C_INLINE, as you did, is the right thing to do, at least for now.  We
could consider removing it in the future, given that we require C99 and C99 has inline as a keyword.

--- End Message ---