tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Z-Wave G.9959 TAP Specification version 0.94

From: Chris Brandson via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 15:36:45 -0800

--- Begin Message --- From: Chris Brandson <chris.brandson () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2023 15:36:45 -0800
Hi Denis,

There are two length fields in the draft Z-Wave G.9959 TAP Specification. The TAP Header contains the length of the
TLVs section (all the TLVs) and each TLV has it’s own length. It occurred to me that this may be confusing to the
reader so I have given these different names in the 0.95 draft.

However, I think you are referring to the length of the MPDU itself. The Z-Wave G.9959 TAP Specification does not
contain a length field for the MPDU because there is already a length provided in G.9959. I did not want to duplicate
this value in the Z-Wave G.9959 TAP Specification as this could be problematic, for instance if these two length fields
are different how should this be handled? To avoid this my preference is to re-use the length already in the Z-Wave
MPDU.

To clarify that the MPDU length is contained within the MPDU itself I have modified this section to read:
The length of the Z-Wave MPDU Payload is contained within MPDU as defined in the Z-Wave MPDU format, see G.9959 [R1]
section 8.1.3.4 and figures 8-5 and 8-6. If needed, the Z-Wave MPDU Payload is padded at the end with zero octets to
the next whole multiple of 4 octets.

The latest 0.95 draft of Z-Wave G.9959 TAP Specification with these changes is available at:
https://gitlab.com/exegin/zwave-g9959-tap <https://gitlab.com/exegin/zwave-g9959-tap>

Thank-you very much for your feedback. Does this addresses your concern?

Hopefully this is sufficient to allocate a new DLT.

Regards,

+ Chris Brandson