tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: AC_LBL_FIXINCLUDES does not make it into configure

From: Denis Ovsienko via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 12:53:28 +0000

--- Begin Message --- From: Denis Ovsienko <denis () ovsienko info>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 12:53:28 +0000
On Fri, 27 Jan 2023 01:40:48 -0800
Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net> wrote:

On Jan 22, 2023, at 9:59 AM, Denis Ovsienko via tcpdump-workers
<tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org> wrote:

I have also removed AC_LBL_C_INLINE and a conditional substitute for
Tru64 pfopen() from tcpslice.  Interestingly, tcpslice and tcpdump,
which don't call pfopen(), used to have this substitute, and
libpcap, which does call pfopen(), does not have it.

That dates back to tcpdump 3.4.  I don't know why they decided to
compile pfopen() into tcpdump and tcpdslice if it's not in a system
library, rather than compiling it into libpcap if it's not in a
system library.  Perhaps they wanted to be able to build versions of
libpcap that would work both on Tru64 UNIX versions in which pfopen()
is in a system library and versions in which it's not and all you
have is pfopen.c source code under /usr/examples.

I don't know what older versions those might be, and I suspect we
have little if any reason to continue to make it possible to build
tcpdump or tcpslice on those older versions - it looks as if Tru64
UNIX 4.x and 5.x have pfopen() in system libraries; according to

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tru64_UNIX

4.0A through 4.0F all date back to the previous millennium.

Thank you for confirming.

In tcpdump it is a bit more entrenched, so I did not touch it yet.

It looks as if you removed the pfopen() stuff from tcpdump's
configure script in 43670fb635503e69cdbf8055134a0befb94d2e15.

Yes, the Autoconf problem/solution space has been getting smaller.  On
one hand, there is build logic that has been obsolete for a while, and
on the other there is logic that is very much in the loop, but has not
been converted to the 2.69 dialect yet.  Quite a few more rounds of
improvements remain to be done in both departments.

Specifically, losing Ultrix props should be among the safest things to
do.

The AC_LBL_C_INLINE stuff is still there, but doesn't look *that*
entrenched; are there any compilers that we need to support and that
*don't* support C99 inline?  If not, we could just remove the call
from configure.ac and the definition from aclocal.m4.

In 2002 in commit b1263c6 you wrote it was some HP C compiler that
Autoconf 2.13 could not drive.  I have never seen HP-UX in the wild, but
assuming the amount of improvement made in Autoconf during the
subsequent 10 years (Autoconf 2.69 is from 2012) and the amount of
improvement made in HP-UX (which had the most recent release in 2022),
to me it would make the most sense to say the problem AC_LBL_C_INLINE
solved (HP C specifics) no longer exists unless proven otherwise, and
AC_LBL_C_INLINE should be removed with a good change log entry.

I do not understand yet if AC_LBL_C_INLINE could just disappear safely
altogether instead of being replaced with AC_C_INLINE.

--
    Denis Ovsienko

--- End Message ---