tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: build failures on Solaris

From: Denis Ovsienko via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 00:01:43 +0100

--- Begin Message --- From: Denis Ovsienko <denis () ovsienko info>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2021 00:01:43 +0100
On Sun, 8 Aug 2021 12:02:53 -0700
Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net> wrote:

[...]
I've checked in a change to explicitly tell CMake "this is a C-only
project, don't check for a C++ compiler", so it should now think it's
building 64-bit when building with GCC.

See whether that fixes things.

Thank you for investigating this problem and making the changes. All
results below come from the unstable11s host (with OpenCSW packages).
I confirm this change has fixed GCC+CMake case when building tcpdump
with the system libpcap (4 builds), in that CMake starts to detect
libpcap features it did not before, for example:

-- Looking for pcap_findalldevs
-- Looking for pcap_findalldevs - found
("tcpdump -D" works, although does not print anything)

However, in the same context building tcpdump with local libpcap in
../libpcap (4 builds) no longer works, in that the resulting tcpdump
binary segfaults itself and makes ldd segfault:

ldd /tmp/tcpdump_build_matrix.XXYkrCSb/bin/tcpdump
ldd: /tmp/tcpdump_build_matrix.XXYkrCSb/bin/tcpdump: execution failed
due to signal 11 (core dumped)

file /tmp/tcpdump_build_matrix.XXYkrCSb/bin/tcpdump
/tmp/tcpdump_build_matrix.XXYkrCSb/bin/tcpdump: ELF 64-bit MSB
executable SPARCV9 Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped, no
debugging information available

/tmp/tcpdump_build_matrix.XXYkrCSb/bin/tcpdump --version
Segmentation Fault (core dumped)

Autoconf build with GCC works with both the system and the local
libpcap (8 builds), as before.

Sun C works with both CMake and Autoconf, with both the system and the
local libpcap (16 builds), as before.

Let me know in case you need more testing/diagnostics.

--
    Denis Ovsienko

--- End Message ---