tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: build failures on Solaris

From: Guy Harris via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2021 19:19:14 -0700

--- Begin Message --- From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2021 19:19:14 -0700
On Aug 1, 2021, at 6:08 PM, Denis Ovsienko <denis () ovsienko info> wrote:

On Sun, 1 Aug 2021 15:45:39 -0700
Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net> wrote:

Probably some annoying combination of one or more of "different
compilers", "later version of CMake", "at least some versions of cc
and gcc build 32-bit binaries by default even on Solaris 11 on a
64-bit machine(!)", and so on.

This is going to take a fair bit of cleanup, not the least of which
includes forcing build with both autotools *and* CMake to default to
64-bit builds on 64-bit Solaris.

For clarity, there is no rush to fix every obscure issue in this
problem space, but it is useful to have the problem space mapped.

At this point, I'm seeing two problems:

1) The pcap-config and libpcap.pc that we generate always include a -L flag, even if the directory is a system include
directory, which means that it could be wrong in a system with 32-bit and 64-bit libraries in separate directories.
Debian removes that from pcap-config to avoid that problem.  We shouldn't add -L in that case.

2) Tcpdump needs to work around that when configuring.

The first is definitely our bug, given that Debian is working around it.

The second would be helpful; we already work around Apple screwing up pcap-config by having the one they ship with
macOS include -L/usr/local/lib for no good reason.

--- End Message ---