tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: build failures on Solaris

From: Denis Ovsienko via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 02:08:05 +0100

--- Begin Message --- From: Denis Ovsienko <denis () ovsienko info>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 02:08:05 +0100
On Sun, 1 Aug 2021 15:45:39 -0700
Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net> wrote:

[...]
So where do the Solaris 11 hosts show up on the buildbot site?

They don't. Solaris 9 and 11 are not in any CI at all. OpenCSW Buildbot
runs on Solaris 10, but uses a single build script. I used OpenCSW
shell access to see how realistic it is to do a manual full matrix CI
on each Solaris version, and it had chased some bugs out. The gcc211
Solaris host had added to the list a bit (not yet described). That was
on SPARC.

If you would like to host a Solaris 11 Buildbot worker, it would need
Python 3.6 or newer plus the usual tools (CMake, git...). Also it would
need to be firewalled from private networks and to have means to
restore to a known-good snapshot conveniently if the VM becomes
compromised through a pull request. Buildbot workers run fine behind
NAT.

[...]
As I have discovered just now, it does not reproduce on OpenCSW host
gcc211:

Probably some annoying combination of one or more of "different
compilers", "later version of CMake", "at least some versions of cc
and gcc build 32-bit binaries by default even on Solaris 11 on a
64-bit machine(!)", and so on.

This is going to take a fair bit of cleanup, not the least of which
includes forcing build with both autotools *and* CMake to default to
64-bit builds on 64-bit Solaris.

For clarity, there is no rush to fix every obscure issue in this
problem space, but it is useful to have the problem space mapped.

One purpose for that would be stating something like "Only these
particular kinds of Solaris are expected/known to work if they meet
this and this requirement." in the documentation. I do not have a use
case for Solaris, so I cannot define such a baseline, so I had tried
everything that was available, for worse or better.

Another purpose would be to cover as much as possible at least with
easy manual pre-release matrix builds, and ideally with CI.

--
    Denis Ovsienko

--- End Message ---