tcpdump mailing list archives

Stick with Travis for continuous integration, or switch?

From: Guy Harris via tcpdump-workers <tcpdump-workers () lists tcpdump org>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 22:29:21 -0800

--- Begin Message --- From: Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 22:29:21 -0800
Travis CI is announcing on the travis-ci.org site that "... travis-ci.org will be shutting down in several weeks, with
all accounts migrating to travis-ci.com. Please stay tuned here for more information."

They don't provide any information there.  However, at

        https://travis-ci.community/t/build-delays-for-open-source-project/10272/26

they say

        As was pointed out in Builds hang in queued state 3 linked to earlier in this topic, Travis is moving workers
from travis-ci.org to travis-ci.com 1 in preparation to fully close .org (or rather, make it read-only) around the New
Year.

        So you need to migrate to .com to stop experiencing delays. Note the caveats:

They claim that they'll still offer free service for free software:

        Q. Will Travis CI be getting rid of free users? #

        A. Travis CI will continue to offer a free tier for public or open-source repositories on travis-ci.com and
will not be affected by the migration.

They also say here:

        https://blog.travis-ci.com/2020-11-02-travis-ci-new-billing

that

        The upcoming pricing change will not affect those of you who are:

                * Building on the Travis CI 1, 2 and 5 concurrency job plans who are building on Linux, Windows and
experimental FreeBSD environments.
                * GitHub Marketplace plans
                * Grouped Accounts
                * Enterprise customers (not building in our cloud environments)
                * Builders on our premium or manual plans. Contact the Travis CI support team for more information.

but they also say that

        The upcoming pricing change will affect those of you who are:

        Building on the macOS environment

        macOS builds need special care and attention. We want to make sure that builders on Mac have the highest
quality experience at the fastest possible speeds. Therefore, we are separating out macOS usage from other build usage
and offering a distinct add-on plan that will correlate directly to your macOS usage. Purchase only the credits you
need and use them until you run out.

                * $15 will buy you 25 000 credits (1 minute of mac build time costs 50 credits)
                * Use your credits for macOS builds only when you need to run these
                * Replenish your credits as you need them
                * More special build environments that fall into this category will be available soon

which may mean that their "free tier" doesn't include macOS.

They also say:

        Building on a public repositories only

        We love our OSS teams who choose to build and test using TravisCI and we fully want to support that community.
However, in recent months we have encountered significant abuse of the intention of this offering (increased activity
of cryptocurrency miners, TOR nodes operators etc.). Abusers have been tying up our build queues and causing
performance reductions for everyone. In order to bring the rules back to fair playing grounds, we are implementing some
changes for our public build repositories.

                * For those of you who have been building on public repositories (on travis-ci.com, with no paid
subscription), we will upgrade you to our trial (free) plan with a 10K credit allotment (which allows around 1000
minutes in a Linux environment).
                * You will not need to change your build definitions when you are pointed to the new plan
                * When your credit allotment runs out - we’d love for you to consider which of our plans will meet your
needs.
                * We will be offering an allotment of OSS minutes that will be reviewed and allocated on a case by case
basis. Should you want to apply for these credits please open a request with Travis CI support stating that you’d like
to be considered for the OSS allotment. Please include:
                        * Your account name and VCS provider (like travis-ci.com/github/[your account name] )
                        * How many credits (build minutes) you’d like to request (should your run out of credits again
you can repeat the process to request more or discuss a renewable amount)
                * Usage will be tracked under your account information so that you can better understand how many
credits/minutes are being used

We haven't been building on travis-ci.com, so presumably the first item in the list doesn't apply.  If the "We will be
offering an allotment..." part applies, the "should your run out of credits again you can repeat the process to request
more or discuss a renewable amount" seems like a pain.

See also this comment:

https://travis-ci.community/t/org-com-migration-unexpectedly-comes-with-a-plan-change-for-oss-what-exactly-is-the-new-deal/10567/15

where the commenter says:

        When I emailed support for credits, they gave this list of requirements for the so-called “Open Source
Subscription”:

        Thanks for contacting Travis-CI Support! I’d love to help!

        We offer an Open Source Subscription for free to all non-commercial open-source projects. To qualify for an
Open Source subscription, the project must meet the following requirements:

                * You are a project lead or regular committer (latest commit in the last month)
                * Project must be at least 3 months old and is in active development (with regular commits and activity)
                * Project meets the OSD 13 specification
                * Project must not be sponsored by a commercial company or organization (monetary or with employees
paid to work on the project)
                * Project can not provide commercial services or distribute paid versions of the software
        Sounds like you and your project? We’d be very happy to support you. If your project does not match these
requirements or you have questions, feel free to ask!

        Looking forward to your response if you meet these requirements to proceed with the next steps.

I guess we meet those requirements, although I'm not too keen on having to keep going hat-in-hand to them every time we
run out of credits; hopefully, we can just get a renewable amount.

Frankly, I agree with the reply to that comment where they say

        I wonder if travis thinks they have something to gain in reputation by letting this info out in dribs and
drabs, making it very hard to figure out what is actually going on.

So we can either migrate to travis-ci.com or use other providers.

We're currently using AppVeyor for Windows builds and Cirrus CI for FreeBSD builds.

AppVeyor offers Windows, Linux, and macOS; Cirrus offers those plus FreeBSD.  Neither of those have, as far as I know,
decided to complicate the process of using them for free software projects.

The only thing I see that Travis offers that others don't is non-x86 builds - they support:

        ppc64le - useful for tcpdump given that at least one bug popped up only there (we were "cheating" in the use of
a crypto library, and only the ppc64le build of that library relied on the program not cheating);

        arm64 for Linux - that may become a more common platform over time (I don't know whether it requires strict
alignment for 2-byte and 4-byte loads - as I remember from reading the ARMv8-A documentation, there's a control
register bit to indicate whether to fault or allow unaligned accesses, and I haven't checked whether Linux enables them
or not);

        s390x (a/k/a z/Architecture, i.e. S/3x0-64) - a big-endian platform, so we can do some testing of operation on
big-endian machines.

I don't know whether any other CI products that offer free service to free-software projects support non-x86 platforms.

--- End Message ---