tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: New official link-layer type request

From: Damir Franusic <damir.franusic () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 23:51:32 +0200

PDU types are extendable and there might be more of them in the future. I wanted to make it like this so adding new
types would not present a big issue.  I can define the two PDU types used at present moment but maybe it would be more
practical to leave PDU payload part as generic octet stream if that's possible.

String s are pure ASCII C null terminated, no need for utf-8.

The formats of PDUs will be described in protocol documentation, sure. I am just not sure how many types of PDUs will
it consist of when it's done. Is we just leave as a data octet stream, any kind of PDU added later would not break the
initial design.

That's just my point of view, maybe you disagree and I respect that. Sometimes you can't now in advance all the
possible extensions that might follow later on, lime EtherType for example. I'm sure that initial version didn't
include all the values available today.

No disrespect and sorry if I sound a bit rude, I would just like to get this DLT as soon as possible and also define a
simple easily extendable header.

Cheers