tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: New official link-layer type request

From: Damir Franusic <damir.franusic () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2019 10:35:11 +0200

Hi

I have read the specs for pcapng but then again I would have have to use The Simple Packet Block (SPB) or An Enhanced Packet Block (EPB) and that would not solve my problem because of this:

Packet Data: the data coming from the network, including link-layer headers. ......The format of the data within this Packet Data field depends on the LinkType field specified in the Interface Description Block (see Section 4.2 <http://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/cgi-bin/xml2rfc.cgi?url=https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pcapng/pcapng/master/draft-tuexen-opsawg-pcapng.xml&modeAsFormat=html/ascii&type=ascii#section_idb>) and it is specified in the entry for that format in the tcpdump.org link-layer header types registry <http://www.tcpdump.org/linktypes.html>.

As I mentioned earlier, not all data is network packet data and when we send that LI specific event data, there is no LinkType for that and that's why I'm asking for a new DLT to cover all this. Then I can carry both encapsulated network data (tshark CC example) and unrelated LI event (tshark IRI example).

I will create a specification for ELEE (started already), no problem, I just wouldn't want to work on it if I get rejected
in the end because of not being clear what I need it for.

On 5/12/19 12:42 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:
Guy Harris <gharris () sonic net> wrote:
     > pcapng has a specification:

http://xml2rfc.tools.ietf.org/cgi-bin/xml2rfc.cgi?url=https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pcapng/pcapng/master/draft-tuexen-opsawg-pcapng.xml&modeAsFormat=html/ascii&type=ascii

     > and it *does* list the block type values, and formats, for existing
     > block types, and the option number values, and formats, for existing
     > options, but that does *not* prevent it from being extensible; as new
     > block types or options are added, the specification is updated.

Also, it might be that pcapng would actually be a really good container for
your work rather than inventing yet-another-TLV.

--
]     mcr () sandelman ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

--
Damir Franusic