tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Should the tcpdump tests be run with TZ=GMT0, or should the AFS printer print time stamps in UTC?

From: Francois-Xavier Le Bail <devel.fx.lebail () orange fr>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2018 09:13:13 +0200

On 04/08/2018 03:14, Guy Harris wrote:
Currently, the tcpdump tests for AFS fail if you're not in the time zone where the .out files were generated, because
AFS time stamps are printed as local time rather than as UTC.

Should we run the tcpdump tests with TZ=GMT0 (at least on UN*X), so that all time stamps are interpreted as UTC?

Yes, setting TZ=GMT0 in TESTrun.sh and update-test.sh.

Like that, we could run the tests without the '-t' option and get problems/changes in time printing
functions. Need an update to the current tests outputs.

Or should the AFS printer show time stamps as UTC rather than as local time in the time zone where tcpdump is being
run?